On this #Inspiration episode of the Photofocus podcast Scott
discuss these topics:
- Get to know an inspirational photographer: This month Marco introduces you to the professional "socially engaged documentary photographer" Sebastião Salgado. Sebastião's documentary work has been published in many top-tier magazines and exhibited in some of the world's most famous photo galleries and museums. Many will know his photos of the firemen working on the oilfield fires in Kuwait. He has also published multiple books such as "Workers" or "Genesis". Sebastião has documented many conflict-torn regions in the world and over time changed his focus to look at the beauty of nature with his photography. He and his wife started a stunning environmental project to reforest the rainforest in his home region in Brazil about 20 years ago. There is also a fantastic documentary movie about Sebastião's life as a photographer that is called "The Salt of the Earth" and that is really worth watching.
- Marco explains why current events (a.k.a. tornado) changed the plans and topic for this episode of the inspiration podcast to "protecting your precious visual memories in today's digital world".
- Choosing and handling your memory cards in the field.
- Image management and drive strategy for safe storing your images at home / in your office (RAID, NAS, Time Machine etc.)
- More onsite and offsite backup options for redundancy and real backup. Remember, redundancy is not automatically backup!
- Offsite options via online backup services, a second NAS etc.
- Scott's photo book of the month pick is: America from 500 Feet II by Bill Fortney. Scott is still picking up this book regularly and is very impressed with the images that Bill took with an ultralight plane in the 1990's.
Please share this podcast with your friends and subscribe via iTunes. We would also love to get your feedback. Is there anything that you want us to cover on the show in the future? And we would appreciate if you could take a short moment to rate or to post a quick review on iTunes for us.
For more information on Scott Bourne follow him on Twitter: @ScottBourne
For more information on Marco Larousse follow him on Twitter: @HamburgCam
About this show:
On the monthly #Inspiration episode of the Photofocus podcast, Scott and Marco will discuss the art, history and motivation in photography that often gets lost in today's media rich world. Slow down, look closer and put more intent into photography to increase your creativity and final results. And simply spread the pure love of photography.