In this renewed, reinvigorated episode of The Mind Your Own Business Podcast, Scott Bourne and Skip Cohen discuss marketing tips to improve your photography business. In this particular episode, they discuss how to make the most of photography trade shows. This includes what to look for, how to invest your time wisely, what to do, and also what not to do.
Specific topics of discussion include the following:
- Plan ahead and determine your budget
- Build an action plan for when you get back (follow-up)
- Make a list of your gear, or gear you would like to have, and plan to visit those vendors at the trade show.
- The concept of â€œstorm-troopingâ€ at trade shows
- Pick courses/classes at trade shows that will help you bump up your skillset and improve your weak skills.
- For portfolio reviews at trade shows, consider taking your worst work so that the reviewers can help you problem solve. Donâ€™t try to show off. Instead, try to improve.
- At the end of each day of a trade show, make notes and catalog the business cards that you collected, so that you can properly follow up later.
- Be practical: wear comfortable shoes, and bring your business cards.
- Know your spending power in advance