Scott and Marco discuss these new products and mirrorless topics on this episode of the Photofocus #Mirrorless Show :
- This show starts with a discussion about the announced sales price of the Olympus OM-D EM1 II, which will be $-US 2000. Is this price fair for a top of the line m4/3 mirrorless camera? Price and information on the camera can be found on the Olympus official website here: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m1-mark-ii.html
- Olympus has also announced their Pro service in the US. For US-$ 100 photographers of Olympus pro gear and cameras get express service on repairs, complementary equipment loan for extended repair times, priority phone support and a warranty extension. You can read about the program and exact terms on the Olympus website here: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/proadvantage?ref=CJ
- Leica has also announced a limited version of their "sharpest standard lens in the world". The Leica APO-SUMMICRON-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH lens is now available in a red anodized version. It is a limited offering planned only for 100 copies of this lens. The regular black or silver version is around US-$8000. The limited red version will be around US-$9.000. You can find out more about this lens and other limited collectors gear from Leica on their M special editions website here: https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions
- Adobe has just announced a new tether plugin for the Fujifilm X-T2 camera. Fujifilm X-T2 owners will soon be able to shoot tethered to Adobe Lightroom using a new plug-in that will be sold for US-$ 79 through the Adobe Add-ons website. The plugin allows X-T2 photographers to tether their camera via USB and preview the image in live view and control the camera settings. The captured images are then imported directly into LightRoom. Here is the news release from Fuji regarding this tether plugin: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n161031.html. Unfortunately, this plugin will not work on Fujis other Pro camera, the X-Pro 2.
- DJI has just announced the new Phantom 4 PRO drone. The drone comes with an updated 20 MP sensor, mechanical shutter and “almost” 12 stops of dynamic range camera. On the video side, the new camera is capable to shoot a 4K/60P video with H.265 video compression. The drone can fly up to 45mph maximum speed and has up to 30 min flight time and FlightAutonomy that will also avoid uneven ground or water when landing. The drone retails for US-$ 1500 and you can find out more about this drone on the DJI website here: http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro
- The Belgian manufacturer CMOSIS (they make some of the sensors for Leica) has announced a new 48MP sensor with global shutter. The sensor is a bit larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor because it is not 3:2 but 4:3 aspect ratio. The new sensor is also designed to record 8K video at a rate of 30fps. The sensor can increase the dynamic range of its output by recording alternate row of pixels at different exposures. The pixels are recorded at one time instead of sequential rows. This technology can be a game changer once it trickles down to more consumer grade cameras. You can find out more about this sensor on CMOSIS's website here: http://www.cmosis.com/products/product_detail/cmv50000
- We have a Photofocus Mirrorless Flickr group that is open to our listeners and photos taken with all mirrorless camera brands. If you want to join just let us know through the "request invitation" button on the group and drop us a quick line there. We'll add you to the group then. And please ask for the invite via the web browser and not via the Flickr App. The invite process via the app has not been working reliably.
- We have picked our monthly featured photographer and image from our Photofocus Mirrorless group.Our monthly Photofocus Mirrorless feature photo and photographer of the month is: Paul Henni with his image titled "Shadowy"
Please share this podcast with your friends and subscribe via iTunes. We would also love to get your feedback. Is there anything that you want us to cover on the show in the future? And we would appreciate if you could take a short moment to rate or to post a quick review on iTunes for us.
For more information on Scott Bourne follow him on Twitter: @ScottBourne
For more information on Marco Larousse follow him on Twitter: @HamburgCam
About this show:
On the monthly #Mirrorless episode of the Photofocus podcast, Scott and Marco will discuss the news from the mirrorless camera world related to innovations, trends, gear and accessories. And they will introduce mirrorless camera manufacturers by interviewing the respective managers of those manufacturers. And they invite pro photographers who make their living working with mirrorless cameras to share some tips and tricks on their workflow.