Fri, 13 December 2019
Welcome to Mind Your Own Business, the podcast that helps photographers improve their business and their lives.
Today, we chat about the top lessons we've learned from the year with our incredible guests. With each podcast guest, we've either learned something new or been reminded of the importance of staying focused. We all know how to focus a camera, but there is no auto-focus on business or life!
1. Stay focused on your dreams while staying relevant. Karen Kuehn's episode: She highlighted relationship building and being a female in photography back when it wasn't so common. Follow your dreams. Staying relevant.
2. You're not selling prints, but rather the experience. Brent Watkins' episode: Know why you're in business. Realizing that you are in the business of selling MORE than prints. You're selling the experience as well.
3. Never turn a customer away because you don't have the skills. Michelle Celentano's episode: Have backup skillsets, and take workshops to expand your skillset.
4. Never miss a moment of creativity. Bobbi Lane's episode: She discussed the importance of practicing creativity instead of waiting for it to strike.
5. Great portraiture is about relationship building. Peter Hurley's episode: You've got to put your clients at ease and listen. It's important to interact with your subjects and put them at ease.
6. Don't making incorrect assumptions based on price. Sarah Petty's episode: Remember that people don't buy what they need, they buy what they want. That means you need to show the value of your products and not fall victim to thinking that price is the key motivator.
7. Stay focused on your future, but appreciate the past. Reid Callanan's episode: He shared with us the important of looking at our favorite visions through his rear view mirror in order to appreciate your accomplishments. This also provides fuel for an exciting future.
8. Special projects help keep us focused on our passion. Don Komarechka's episode: Special projects are so important, and can evolve into incredible future opportunities.
9. Never let go of your dreams. Terrell Lloyd's episode: Never stop relentlessly pursuing your dreams. He started out in life headed to being a pro bowler, and changed directions. Today he's head of a team of photographers for the San Francisco 49rs.
10. Understand why and how we are motivated to make pictures – and what your photography means to you. Rick Sammon's episode: In his best-selling book "Photo Therapy Motivation and Wisdom – Discovering the power of pictures", he discusses what makes someone a better photographer, and it's not always your gear.
11. You are your client's "trusted advisor" in sales. Luci Dumas' Episode: As much as we all need a coach or a mentor, our clients need a coach too. We need to learn to be their trusted advisor in the sales process. You're not selling photographs, but intangible memories turned into tangible photographs that can be held and shared for a lifetime.
Be sure to let us know if you have any thoughts or questions in the comments section. We do our best to answer all questions in a timely manner.
You can be the next guest on our podcast
Do you have an idea for a topic or want to hear from your favorite photographer or influencer in our industry? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, with the subject line MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS IDEA. Then write a brief description of your topic or idea. If you are recommending someone, please include their name, contact information and state if you would like to be a guest host.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to share this episode with your friends. You can also listen on iTunes; we’d love it if you could post a review!
Direct download: Mind_Your_Own_Business_Photofocus_Podcast_December_13_2019_High.mp3
Category:Audio podcast -- posted at: 10:36am EST